Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Would you say if I was wasting my time

OK, so there's going to be a "Sex and the City" movie. Why? I was a large fan of the series, but what possible movie could you make of it? The episodes were nice and bite sized, and considering they put everyone in a happy place at the end of the series, the launching point is going to be quite ridiculous. Notice that no one has made a Friends movie, there's a reason.

Speaking of Friends, we've started watching the old episodes on DVD again. I still find them quite amusing after all these years, even some of the crappy episodes in season 3 are better than some stuff out there. I know a lot of people focused on Jennifer Aniston, but Courtney Cox & Matthew Perry were really the heart of the show, and the work they've done outside of the show shows that (Dirt is awesome, and I loved Perry in Studio 60).

Gavin has started coming in to visit us when he wakes up in the morning. Its all nice and cute, but at some point in time I'm going to want that half hour of sleep back. Especially with the week of work I've had where I've been going in early and working late.

I've also started planning a new computer purchase. I've had my current one for 3 years now and its getting to the point where I should hand it off to Pam and get a new one. Pam gets the hand me downs because she primarily uses it for email, reading big brother blogs, and occasionally playing The Sims. I'm looking forward to handing it down as much to reduce the noise in the room (her current one is LOUD) as much as getting a shiny new toy. However putting together the pieces for a new box is much more complicated these days, 3 years ago I had 3 choices of motherboard chipsets. For those non computer people, its the big circuit board in your computer where all your components plug into. Now there are like 9. Plus the options of computer cases, they're just now and explosion of different brands and types. Do I use water cooling, or conventional fans? Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Researching all this to get it right borders on obsession, but thats because I want my computers to last 6 years (3 for me, 3 for Pam). So far I've been pretty successful. Amusingly, each time I do this, I end up with a price tag of $1,100 - $1,200. Its looking like it will be the same this time.

Why do I build my own instead of getting something from Dell? Dell appears cheap, but you do make tradeoffs. They might give you a good graphics card but you'll get a crappy motherboard. You can upgrade a graphics card, upgrading a motherboard that's made specifically for a Dell box can be a major pain. IBM, Dell, Micron all seem to skimp on the motherboard, networking, & I/O, and those are the heart of a machine. Now if you're like my wife, you'll never notice. But for someone like me who pretty much abuses any piece of hardware put in front of him, quality components are a must. Usually I can put together a box that gets close to the price of a Dell but your components will be better quality. And with quality your box can last quite a while, Pam's box is 6 years old, but beyond the noise by the fans it still works great for what she needs. And upgrade for her just means she'll be able to play the Sims at a higher resolution :)

So I'm waiting to see if the rumor of a processor price drop happens in July and I'll do the buy. At which point I won't have to think about this stuff for another 3 years.

Tired of the computer talk yet? I bet you're wishing I would start taking about Genesis again right about now :)

No comments: