Wednesday, August 27, 2008

And even I'm getting tired of useless desires

So the Olympics are over....I guess that means the break is over, and the election is back in the news....again.

It's not that I've made up my mind (I haven't), it's just that this has gone so long it's getting ridiculous. Both the media, and the campaigns.

Seriously, you're going to slam Obama for vacationing in Hawaii?

Seriously, you're going to slam McCain over the houses his wife owns?

Remember how at the beginning of all this everyone agreed we had a rich field of candidates (any one of them better than Bush)? Why does it now that it seems like we're tired of all of them?

On the up side, it does seem like the bubble of invincibility around Obama has popped, so he'll have to do more than coast on good rhetoric. That's not a bad thing for him, he rose to the challenge that Clinton put out. When he said Clinton made him a better candidate, he wasn't kidding. At last the Democrats have someone who can run a campaign again, god knows Gore and Kerry couldn't.

As for the Republicans, they've always known how to run a campaign. So well in fact its hard to know what the candidate actually wants to say, slave to the message machine that the GOP runs.

However the GOP is making a misstep trying to run commercials slamming Obama for not picking Clinton as a VP. One, it only works if Clinton rises to the bait (which she won't). Two, it's putting more good emphasis on a Democrat. As long as this election is Republican vs Democrat, there's no way the GOP can win. The only way McCain wins is its McCain vs. Obama. People just don't like the GOP that much. The GOP needs to accept that and step into the sidelines. Three, the only people who really care about the VP choice is the media who is dying for something new to talk about.

Its interesting talking to people, around here I will hear "I like Obama, there's no way he can loose". When talking to some people back East, I will hear "I like Obama, shame there's no way he can win". Why? Well look at the people who believe that Obama is a Muslim. Then realize that isn't the bad thing, the bad thing is that is matters. Why? Because as Carlin said "Imagine how dumb the average American, now realize that means that half of America is dumber than that". Remember the footage of voters in West Virginia? There are a lot of those people, and they vote.

The big problem is most people are getting their news from a source that has turned it into an entertainment medium. Looking to twist every little thing into drama, even if has nothing to do with a person's qualifications for President.

Why can they do this? Because the level of education in this country seems to be on the continuous decline. And that's something I'm waiting for the candidates to discuss.

At least the debates will be good. I hope. I just know I'll be ignoring politics as much as I can until then.

I've definitely been on a Patty Griffin kick lately. I've definitely been pulling from here lyrics for post titles recently. I'll have to start putting a little more variety into it next time.

No comments: