Sunday, October 14, 2007

...Pulls you down on your knees

So what was so screwed up about August & September?

First, our camera broke. It wasn't completely unexpected since M&K have the same exact one and it broke 3 months earlier in the same way. Basically your pictures were colored snow. For someone who takes as many pictures as I do this was a major issue.

Second, as was blogged before, the new computer I had purchased and put together had some major issues. Let me be clear, I will still be putting my next computer together from scratch like this one. I have built all my previous computers from scratch and they've been perfect long term performers. However, something strange was happening with this one. I ended up shipping the motherboard back twice to ASUS, then shipping my processor back to Intel. Since processors are not supposed to be defective, what we believe happened is the 1st motherboard was defective and fried the processor. The 2nd one was probably OK, but ASUS never tested it. The 3rd motherboard was tested, which led us to realize the processor was fried.

Third, my car. They did an oil change and rotated the tires, and afterwards when I hit 40 MPH the steering wheel started shaking. I took it back in, and they said the back wheels were not balanced correctly which they fixed. But that didn't solve the problem. So I took it back in, and they re-rotated the tires back to their original position. That fixed the problem, and I guess I can't rotate my tires anymore until I get 4 new ones.

Fourth, we had a nice visit to Kansas City to see some friends. When we came back home, we found the refrigerator had broke. After getting a guy to look at it, the culprit was the compressor. Unfortunately to fix that costs $800, so we just bought a new fridge (which is why I'm hoarding money right now).

Finally, the night before we went to Chicago, Gavin got a stomach bug which delayed and almost canceled our trip. He gave it to me, and I was sick on the day we came back which left all the driving duties to my wife.

My old roommate found nothing weird about all these things happening in the same timespan, because he's used to this stuff. When I've mentioned MacDonald's law of luck, people think its something I came up with. The actual law was discovered by my old roommate, who found that there was some relationship to Murphy's law, frankly it wasn't as consistent, and had that taste of spite. He then came up with I believe 3 corollaries to the law, the only one I remember though is the one of distance. "MacDonald's law will not touch those close to Scott MacDonald as it would draw attention away from the spite and suffering when the unfortunate instances occur from the main target, therefore, those close to Scott MacDonald will have a greater concentration of good luck not only to keep them safe to witness the events, but to act as a foil to the shit that happens to him". I'll have to remember to ask him what the other two were, but they were of no help to me :)

Now we are in October, all my issues have been resolved, I have a working computer, car, camera, and fridge. So next is the house blows up I guess.....

More posts coming soon :)

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Dude, you never say what's going to happen next!!! Now, you're going to have to spin around a few times and spit or knock on wood or donate money to a worthy cause or something to stop the badness from happening!

I'm not dramatic, I'm me. Hope things start looking up. Maybe you ought to too just in case a satellite falls on you or something. :)