Saturday, October 06, 2007

Where the honey flows and takes you by the hand

OK, I know I was going to give an account of the many woes of the last month, but I figured I'd delay that with something good that went on. I saw Genesis live, and it was good. And oh my god they played Ripples!!!!!!

You don't know what song Ripples is do you. Fine, go to iTunes, download it from the Trick of the Tail album, I'll wait.

OK, we all good now, fine, OH MY GOD THEY PLAYED RIPPLES!!! (See, you're on board now).

We had to travel to Chicago to see them, because no one good comes to play concerts in St. Louis anymore (besides Rush). I don't know what we've done to piss good shows off, but whatever it is, we as a city are sorry. We had nosebleed seats, but we had a good angle on the stage, and we could hear everything perfectly.

I'd like to digress on that for a second, so many concerts I go too you get lots of sound, but you can't understand a word of the lyrics, or even when they talk to the audience. I usually blame the over reliance on the bass levels. Whatever it is, I usually am annoyed with the sound crew. I had NO complaints that night, it had a great full sound that reached the rafters, yet it was clear & clean. OK, digression over.

It was a great set, combining old stuff with new stuff. From the set list you could tell it was a lot of band favorites with a lot of energy. Collins spent a good amount of time behind the drums and there was a good selection of instrumental movements. They did some interesting things, like opening with Duke's End transitioning to Turn It On Again, then later did the middle part of Duke's Travels (right before Duke's End starts) in the middle of an instrumental medley piece.

Sigh, just go buy the Duke album then re-read the last paragraph. If you like creative music you won't be disappointed, its a very solid album with strong instrumentals.

Another good point was that my wife experienced a Genesis concert with me, and hasn't divorced me, so that's a good sign. She says she understands my obsession more now, which could be just her humoring me, but I'll take it in the positive light :)

Next Genesis surround sound box set due out in November, can't wait!

No comments: