Tuesday, October 16, 2007

You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em

On Saturday I played probably the best game of poker I've ever played from a technical perspective. I got away from every hand I should have gotten away from, I raised when I should have, I played slow when I needed to.

And I still lost.

No matter how good you are, you will have some nights when the cards just don't like you. For example, I got dealt 2,3 seven times that night. Now, that isn't as bad as 2,7, but it isn't good. When I got them as a suited connector, out of frustration I decided to bet them. Lo and behold, I get 2 more 2's on the flop. I go ahead and keep betting them driving people out of the pot except on guy who would sometimes stay in longer than he should. It turns out I had him beat the whole time, until a 9 showed up on the last card giving him 3 9's to my 3 2's.

It was that kind of night. Still fun though.

Oh, and I forgot something from the last post, Pam's iPod's hard drive died as well in that 2 month period.

Gavin's reached a point where his conversations are much more complex, and his ability to draw conclusions has really improved. There was a book he was addicted too, "The Bunnies Are Not In Their Beds". He asked for it as the "Bad Bunny Book", but no where in the book does it say that the bunnies were bad (though they were). His social skills, while not perfect, have improved quite nicely as he usually plays well with others. He enjoys group play, though I've noticed that sometimes he will leave the group and just play by himself. He's really pushing to grow another inch or two so he can reach his pedals better on his tricycle. His friend J can pedal it and Gavin is determined to do it too, just legs just aren't cooperating.

My favorite Gavin moment had to be when I was sick in Chicago. He was downstairs watching Sesame Street (which is holy writ to him) when I had to sprint to the bathroom to be sick. I hear this "DADDY!" from downstairs, then the sound of little legs pumping up the stairs. Next thing he was behind me patting me on the back asking "You OK Daddy?", "Feel better Daddy". It was nice, even if being sick wasn't.

He's still the worst hide and go seek hider in the history of the game, we'll have to work on that...

2 comments:

Amanda said...

That doesn't improve for a while, my girl still hides poorly.

Unknown said...

I can understand the excitement and wanting to pop out, or not being quiet. But after he finds us, he tells us to go count, then hides RIGHT THERE. He doesn't move.