Friday, April 13, 2007

The first cut is the deepest

Those that know me are aware that I have always been adverse to paying someone else to do something I can do myself. Whether it be mowing the lawn, cleaning the house, installing ceiling fans (hey, I didn't say I did it FAST, just that I could do it), etc. However, I am seriously thinking of putting that on hold for the month of April when it comes to mowing the lawn.

Every year its the same, the first warmth comes in with a host of rain, which makes the grass grow at an alarming rate. But yet the rain still comes, which leads me to take that one time it is not raining, and get out there and mow. Note that I didn't say the ground was still dry. Which means I'm out there restarting the clogged mower every couple of minutes, and bagging ever swath or so. It didn't help that for the first mow I had my father chuckling at me through the back porch window. Those of you who believe parents should be supportive in every situation should stay away from my family. They've had their knocks and they're enjoying watching others go through the same pain.

Not that I'm much different....

Nonetheless, just did the second mow and its still freaking wet. So I'd like to pay someone to mow my lawn for April next year. But you can't do that, you have to sign up for the whole year. So I'll be out there next April swearing loudly at the lawn mower. Only 11 more years until Gavin can mow, hee hee.

Now I could stop there, but I haven't thought up a lyric for the title yet. That's what I think is the main thing that slows me down in posting. Because I'm so freaking perfectionist about it. But I started this post about MOWING THE LAWN. Last I checked, there wasn't much music written with that in mind, so I have to either 1) Make the start of this post lead into a greater point, or 2) Do something abstract.

I could go ironic with something from Heavenly Day by Patty Griffin for humor effect, but that doesn't work when I've already shown I'm having problems with the title. Its too much of a cop out. Of course, there is a line, "Tomorrow may rain with sorrow" which works nicely but then you google the title of the song and go what the hell? All the other titles not only work as lyrics, but as the song titles themselves somewhat.

And yes, I am stalling, I can run through lyrics in my head while I type, I've very weird like that. Multitasking is a normal operation for me, which usually drives my wife a little crazy as I'm sometimes doing work while watching Lost with her. And by the way, I just got it. But you knew that since its now there at the top of the post.

So that leads to the question, did I know the title all along and just rambled for the hell of it, or to mess with your mind a bit? The time of the post should answer that question.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Okay with Rod Stewart. Horrible remake with Sheryl Crow.

Unknown said...

I know, I know, I feel shame