Monday, April 23, 2007

Like an angel with clip-on wings

Well the rains have finally stopped for now, and we actually have some warm weather again. This leads to the yearly awakening of my cul-de-sac. Its amazing how for months we don't see our neighbors, but as soon as it gets warm again we pick up where we left off. And yes, I realize I mangled that last sentence structure. Hockey playoffs are on (AWSOME SAVE! Vancouver vs Dallas 3rd period 10:04 left), so I'm slightly distracted. Deal.

Anyway, where was I...cul-de-sac, neighbors like hibernating bears, got it. The real nice thing about living in a cul-de-sac is its a natural place for kids to play and neighbors to meet. Gavin is finally old enough to actually interact a bit with the other kids. He especially enjoys the trampoline. Its one of those large ones with the mesh cage, which makes it safe for bouncing toddlers. Gavin's balance has improved greatly as he can actually keep his feet and keep bouncing in the ripples the other kids cause. He's learning to time his own bouncing to take advantage of the the bigger kids springs. His major accomplishment came today as he managed to launch himself from one end of the trampoline to the other (about 10 feet). As he went through the air he shouted with a grin, "I FLY!". The look on his face was so precious, I couldn't stop laughing.

We have had the good luck to have a very good set of neighbors. They're all friendly, good people. Though if you're an outsider speeding through the neighborhood, you wouldn't guess that the two enforcers in your face are actually sweet people (that poor pizza guy :) ). Our neighbors are a big reason we stayed in our house after the 2nd break in.

J.T.'s son has just gotten old enough to be introduced to the lawn mower, and he's currently "in training". Now as a rule I mow my own lawn since I don't like paying professionals what I can easily do myself. However, I have always been a fan of supporting the work of an neighborhood kid (since I used to do that myself). So I look forward to hiring him to mow my lawn. J.T. and I have realized that with the distribution of ages of kids in our cul-de-sac, we'll soon be set mowing wise for years to come. I believe lounging on lawn chairs and drinks were mentioned...

As an ending note, some tips on interacting with my cul-de-sac
1) People walking by are invited to say hi and introduce themselves. We don't bite, not even the kids.
2) Do not drive and circle the cul-de-sac then leave, that irritates us.
3) Don't do it fast, that infuriates us.
4) We do NOT have an entrance to Vago Park. Go to Dorsett & Fee Fee and head north. There will be a turn to your right a couple blocks down the road.
5) For those soliciting, beware the attack neighbor.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

"3) Don't do it fast, that infuriates us."

So you're more the slow and steady crowd, huh? Interesting. Is romance important too?

Unknown said...

Yes, but we'll settle for free food