Friday, April 14, 2006

Get 'Em Out By Friday

Going to start making my titles lines from songs or song titles, just for fun. Though I see this being a pain in the ass in the future, for now it amuses me. This one is easy, its the name of the song as well. But I'm getting off topic, or is it I was never on topic? Anyway....

Years ago I argued heavily against term limits. My position was that simply, if we didn't get a bad politician out of office, it was our own dumb fault, and we should let the good guys go as long as we can. I was very passionate, and I even convinced my opponent. What is unfortunate is that I'm beginning to believe I was wrong. Damnit.

Is there really a member of Congress that we absolutely have to have? Someone who we can't live without? Frankly I don't think so. However there a LOT of them we would be happy to dump. So dump all of them. (See! There's the title relevance to this post!)

To be quite honest, while I'm not a Bush supporter, the root of our problems isn't him. The problem is our Congress (to quote Steven Colbert) "has no balls". They're very good at posturing, but not much else. They only time they seem to act is when it would be complete suicide not too (social security). The president can run them over without any more consequence of some harsh language on the pundit shows. What is funny is that this is the time where Congress should feel free to flex their muscles. Bush's popularity rating is at an all time low, and Congress still won't break ranks for fear of making their party look weak.

What happened to less federal government interference, financial responsibility? All pushed to the wayside in the interests of party unity with Bush. What happened to the true conservatives? And I'm not talking about the social ultra-religous conservatives, so sit back down.

Congress should have stepped up and put Bush in his place. He is not the government, only a branch. But they can't do it. And problem's root is at the House of Representitives. We have carrier politicians in a position that gets re-elected every 2 years. This certainly isn't what the founders had in mind. The idea was that people would serve their 2 years, then get back to their life. A house of the common people.

Well, they won't vote term limits on themselves. So I say, if there isn't anyone there we can't live without, just vote them out. Every 2 years, vote out the incumbant. Republican, Democrat, whatever. Its not like you actually pay much attention to the congressman you vote in anyway. I wonder what the typical congressman would look like after 8 years....

But then, this whole plan depends on the voters who got us in this mess in the first place.

Yeah, it was just an idea.

No comments: