Sunday, April 30, 2006

That ain’t workin’ that’s the way you do it

I had a shock when I bought a copy of Guild Wars:Factions. The store clerk attempted to sell me scratch insurance. You gotta be kidding me! I mean, if the space between my CD rack and my computer was a gravel road with potholes, I could see that. But its not. I know I've always said that I've never had a problem with companies making money off of stupid people, but this might be pushing it. And they're doing this with music CDs as well. Though those travel enough to make slight more sense (not enough to buy it though).

I'm probably more irritated by the fact the guy did a hard sell on me. Do I LOOK that stupid? OK, I do look very young, but still....when I say no, I mean NO. Unless its too my wife of course, that's just an opening negotiating position to an argument I will lose because she's cute. That's different.

I can understand why they do it, a lot of inexperienced parents to suck more money out of. But this MIGHT come back to bite them. More and more people are switching from buying CD's and games physically to electronically. The selling of insurance on these disks will start making some people think that this purchase NEEDS insurance. But digital downloading doesn't. So they're next buy will be online, not so good for EB Games, Best Buy, or whoever. It sounds like a stretch, but these are the same people who will buy insurance on a CD.

Have I ruined a CD due to scratching? Yes, one. Seven years after I bought it. I own 400 CDs or so (I stopped counting a LONG time ago). Imagine the money I would have wasted if I bought insurance on all those? Hell, just on the amount of game CDs I own (all of which still work).

Oh well, can't blame someone for making a buck. Just stop trying to make it off me, I'll take my chances.

No comments: