Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Here we go

OK, its been a couple of days, I guess I should actually start posting something. Not that anyone is waiting on baited breath quite yet....

So I stated music as #1 on my list of things to blog about, so let the first blog address that.

Top # lists annoy me somewhat, everyone assumes they are definitive and don't change. Yet its something I get asked about from time to time. Therefore, I like too break it down into the top albums I've found over my lifetime I can listen to again and again, and the current favorites that I might get tired of, or not.

So overall, my top favorites (for now) are....
The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - Genesis
Everyone needs to listen to this one. Frankly its one of the most creative (and yes, very weird) albums ever made. Even if you don't care about (or understand) the story, the music will carry you along. I always listen to this on my birthday

Scarlet's Walk - Tori Amos
I can hear the Amos fans screaming now that I didn't say Little Earthquakes. I love Little Earthquakes, but Scarlet's Walk is what I feel is to be her best work as a complete album. A great variety of musical styles, and not a weak song on there. It will amuse you, it you make you think, it will move you.

Roll The Bones - Rush
People criticize this album as being over produced, which it is. Yet start humming any song from this album around a Rush fan and they'll start humming along. This is just good solid rock that's fun to listen too.

Patty Griffin - Impossible Dream
Describing this album in modern terms is almost impossible. Why? Because country music sucks. If country music didn't suck, it would be this album. But see? You've already formed an opinion on this album as soon as I said country. Think the soundtrack to 'O Brother Where Art Thou'. Got that? OK. That style, only written today. Oh, and its better too. You know, just go buy the album.

A Curious Feeling - Tony Banks
You've never heard of this album, I guarentee it. You probably can't find it as best buy (you CAN find it on amazon, though its through a different seller). Its another concept album with a lot of intrumentals that are so well done, you can see the story playing out in your head. I think this currently holds my record of number of straight repeats played. You really are missing something if you haven't really, deeply listened to this album.

Tounges And Tails - Sophie B. Hawkins
I can't think of any other artist debut album that makes this list. Everyone knows Sophie through the song "As I Lay Me Down". Which was a #1 song for a very very very long time. Its not on this album. Sophie blends pop, classical, rhythm and twists it into something really interesting.

Ok, I need to break from this, but I'm on a roll in my head so current albums & top songs coming up then we'll put this music thing behind us for a bit.

No comments: